Saturday, March 5, 2011

ArcGIS 10 on a MacBook Pro

Although I have been running ArcGIS 10 on my hefty Dell T7500 workstation for many months I just got around to installing ArcGIS 10 on my 17 inch MacBook Pro.  I am running Windows 7 64-bit SP1 on my Mac via VMware Fusion.  While I've had the occasional program crash within VMware Fusion  (mostly the Java updater) I have been really happy with the performance overall.  I use the MacBook Pro for teaching and from an ArcGIS geoprocessing standpoint it's faster the aging Dell Precision 390 workstations we have in our teaching lab.

At ArcGIS 10 ESRI introduced a new license check out capability.  I was worried that the license check out would not work though VMware Fusion, but I logged in from home via VPN, started up the AcGIS Administrator, checked out the licenses, quit VPN, fired up ArcGIS 10, and everything worked like a charm.  For large organizations like our university this new license check out capability will be a big time saver.  The two of us responsible for generating license files spent untold hours in previous years generating license files and trouble shooting ArcGIS license manger issues for those users looking to go on the road with ArcGIS.  I think this will save us a lot of time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a regular user of ArcGIS 10 on a dell computer and considering making the move to a Mac Pro. Did you run into any issues in using the office OS and Arc on your Mac?

Jarlath O'Neil-Dunne said...

No issues at all. The only issues I had were with the Mac itself. Had to be sent back to Apple twice. First time for a new logic board, second time for a new DVD drive and keyboard. Two weeks of downtime total. The Macs are very well designed, but I miss the next day repair service Dell has.

Reza Sahrizal said...

bagaimana mendapatkan software argis for macbook pro

Reza Sahrizal said...

May I ask whether argis software for macbook pro? thank you very much